Monday, May 26

Urban Exploring

I like going places that I shouldn't. As a kid, my best friend and I explored an abandoned house, and we also spent summer afternoons in the creek tunnels in my hometown. The movie Urban Explorers that I saw last month reminded me how much fun that is.

When the opportunity arose to explore an abandoned subway with a group, I jumped aboard. It turned out to be an underground art gallery inhabited by the homeless. We only saw one actual person, but evidence of life in cast off clothing, trash and a fire ring. The pipes still rattled and thumped with steam creating quite a racket in places. Pigeons cooed and flew in and out between the archways. It was a fun day spent underground while cars sped over topside, their inhabitants oblivious to the world below.

No comments: