Sunday, October 21

I Did Bad Things to Carrots Today

I hate when I waste hours in the kitchen only to have what I'm doing come out crappy. Hate it. Waste of time. Waste of food.

My intentions were good. There is a Carrot Ginger soup that I love at a restaurant we frequent. As luck would have it, I was paging through my Moosewood cookbook today and there was a recipe for it: Gingered Carrot Soup! Number one - no way is this the same recipe they use in the restaurant. Number two - I knew one and a half teaspoons of salt was waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. What were they thinking? I've been cooking for years and I do all right, but do I trust my instincts? No. I put in the salt. Result: recipe should be called Salt With a Hint of Carrot soup.

So carrots, two pounds of lovely orange carrots, please accept my deepest apology that ending up in my crappy soup was your fate. You were planted, you grew, were trucked in to my store from wherever you put down roots only to meet this demise. So sad. I promise to do better with the other three pounds still left in my fridge.*

*The store was out of one pound bags so I had to buy a five pound bag. Should have taken that as a sign.

Feel free to confess your food disasters here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had friends over for dinner one night.What a dinner it turned out to be.Salad,spagh.and jello for dessert.The down side of this was a cake in the oven ,that I hid.Yes hid,you see this woman loves lemon merange pie.Well I found a recipe for lemon merange cake.So I made it and when it was finished I went to transfer this beatuiful cake onto a nice platter.Lol it slid off from the middle.So back in the oven it went.The sauce for the spagh.was very good despite the whole box of bay leaves I had tossed in.Yes it was a day in the kitchen I will never forget!! Whew...

Ginger said...

Good story! The lemon meringue cake sounds delish despite the mishap.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the worst? The sinking feeling when you realize there is no way to save it? Boo.

Just the other nigth my friends husband made his own recipe for mac n cheese. In an effort to thicken the sauce he put two "scoops" (turns out they were each 1 cup scoops) of flour in. He tossed it in the oven and strutted around about how delicious it was. It looked great! But he never tasted it. I thought he was going to cry so Michelle and I just ate it and told him it wasn't "so bad". hehehehe poor guy.

Anonymous said...

Lol,it was very good Dave and I ate it after your mom left!!I just didn't have the heart to even let her see my mistake..