Tuesday, October 16

Cool Days, Warm Oven

Yep, that's what I brought my co-workers for breakfast! I had a few bananas that weren't good for anything more than making banana bread so I told B if he went to the store to get walnuts, I'd make some. He had his shoes on pretty quick! I looked up a new recipe out of my Moosewood Cookbook, and it called for soaking the mashed bananas in a cup of strong coffee. I was considering skipping that step, but when B got back he made some coffee out of the blue. He never makes coffee in the evening so I figured the universe was trying to give me some direction. The bread was fantastic - do not skip the coffee soaking! It adds a rich flavor to the bread, and it won't taste like a cup of Joe.

Blend:
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
2/3 cup black coffee

Cream together in a separate bowl:
1 1/2 cups butter or margarine (softened) (3 sticks)
1 3/4 cup brown sugar
4 eggs (add one at a time, mixing well)
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon grated orange rind

Mix together in another bowl:
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup walnuts (optional but highly encourage!)

Set the oven for 350 F. Grease 2 loaf pans. Gently blend the flour mixture and banana mixture into the butter mixture alternately, being careful not to over mix. Add 3/4 cup walnuts at this time. Bake at 350 F for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let pans cool for 10 minutes then dislodge the loaves and place on a rack. The cookbook says to wait 1 hour before slicing, but seriously, good luck with that.

P.S. Don't forget to e-mail this recipe to your friends! Just click the little white envelope below.

5 comments:

mom2five said...

this sounds pretty yummy, I think I will have to give it a try! :O) Thanks!

Unknown said...

The Moosewood Cookbook is great, it's probably the first cookbook i ever got!!! That bread looks delish!!!

w said...

wow. that looks yum.

(as as per your question on my blog... lychee is an asian fruit. sweet. texture is similar to that of a grape. and the candy - well, it's a gummy candy. like a gummy bear. only with a sugar coating. and a lychee flavor - which i can't really describe. lol.)

Tami said...

Wow - that looks good! Never heard about the coffee soak before though. Now, if you'd posted this yesterday, I wouldn't have had to scramble around for something to bring to my work potluck tomorrow! (Okay, really, if you'd posted this yesterday, I still wouldn't have found it until today.)

And lychees are delish!

Anonymous said...

That looks great!!With the coffee lovers in this house,I will have to make it.Thank you for the recipe...
powderpuff572001