Wednesday, October 3

Featured Artist: Ginny Headley Maserang

Today I interviewed Ginny Headley Maserang of That's Headley! Jewelry Designs. She is a fellow Etsy artist and makes truly unique jewelry. These photos are just a few samples of her beautiful work. Left to Right: Stone Rainbow Necklace in Mixed Semi Precious Gemstones and Sterling Silver, True Colors Necklace in Olive Jade, Apatite, Citrine and Sterling Silver and Color Me Sudoku Necklace in Copper, Crystal and Silk.

Her Creative Process
"I have had a shop on Etsy since March 2006, but have been creating jewelry for myself and family and friends for more than 30 years. When I sit down to create, if I haven't had a compelling inspiration that made me sit down in the first place (you know how that works....you wake up at 3 AM with a vision of a completed piece completely formed in your head, and you can't wait until morning comes and you can get to your workbench and make it real), my ritual is to pull out my "pretties" - all the stones and beads that "made" me buy them when I saw them, even though I had no idea at the time what I would do with them - and I start playing, combining them, seeing how their colors and textures work or don't work together, and before too long, what I want to do for the next piece emerges."

The Piece She's Most Proud Of
"...the bracelet I made for the Spring 2007 Beads4You Challenge on Etsy. It won the Anything Goes category, but that's not the reason I am proud of the piece (although that does contribute a bit!). It was a real stretch for me technique-wise, and it took quite a bit of work to make it come out the way I had planned. In the end, I persevered, and it exceeded even my own vision. What I am looking forward most to creating next is another bracelet using the same technique, but with amethysts and lavender-colored pearls. Look for it soon in my shop!"

What is Something People May Not Know About You?
"I have a Ph.D in microbiology, I'm an expert in bioterrorism (preventing it, not doing it, let's make that clear!), and can really kill a conversation at a dinner party - haha!"

Visit Ginny's blog.

No comments: