Sunday, October 21

Black Diamond Off-Road Duathlon

The weather was absolutely gorgeous all week, but of course race day brought clouds, wind and a pocket of rain. The start was dry all the way through the 2 mile run, but the beginning of the 10 mile trail ride brought some chilling raindrops. Unlike running (at least for a long distance plodder like me), biking creates a lot more windchill so it's tough to want to keep a good pace. Part of the trail featured about a mile of single track through the trees that was really fun. Large roots and bridges were marked as "bike hazards." We kind of laughed at that because where we usually go the whole trail would be marked "bike hazard."

I had signed up B telling him "it'll be fun!" That's always my ploy, LOL. I didn't see him after the first mile, but he caught up to me on the bike just like he said he would. I stopped to drink some iced tea and put on my rain coat so that bought him a little time. He beat me to the bike drop off and then said he was done. That was a bummer, but he runs about 10 miles a year, and we hadn't trained for this at all. I talked him into walking with me for about 20 yards into the last 2 miles when he showed me he'd already taken off his timing chip. He was feeling fine, and didn't see any point in making that not the case so called it quits. The difference between us is I only aim to finish, and he wants to do well. I could care less how I measure up against the rest. I know I'm not fast, but B wants to be good. He urged me to get going and of course there was no way I was going to get a DNF (did not finish). 20 minutes later I was cruising to the finish.

We cheered on a few other people, and as we watched a couple came through and crossed the line together. I said, "That could've been us!" Of course, there wouldn't be this picture of me hamming it up if he wasn't waiting at the end.

Tonight he asks me if there are any races coming up. I knew he'd be looking for redemption.

2 comments:

Yankee Girl 1881 said...

you go girl! I keep thinking I should try something but I haven't trained for anything in years. lol, I go in spurts.

Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

It sounds like (and looks like) you had a blast!