Saturday, June 7

Sweating Like a Lampworker Sitting on the Sun

Yesterday is was 92 degrees and 90% humidity, and I volunteered to demo lampworking at a nearby studio. When it is 10 below in the middle of January, the torch will offer absolutely no heat. You will chatter and struggle to keep your twirling hand steady. When it's 90 degrees however it seems like you are sitting near a campfire. Maybe it's all in my head, but the owner of the studio actually turned her torch down a bit because she was feeling it too. I was sweating more last night sitting still than I do working out. You know when you can feel it pooling in your eyebrows? It was like that. Suffering for my art, hehe. I made roughly 20 beads and can't wait to see them. They stayed at the studio overnight to cool and anneal, and I'll get them later this week. Something to look forward to! I felt really good about how they looked going in, but until you see it finished you just never know. I tend to be my own worst critic.

The easy bake oven is on right now. I wonder how many other people who didn't have that childhood toy now have kilns?  


I've have some beads I made that cracked perfectly in half due to thermal shock, and I've been meaning to make fused pendants out of them for some time. I think these happy little accidents are going to come out really cool. I'll probably hope I can make more beads crack in half and won't be able to do it. It's that last thing you strive for as a lampworker.  

1 comment:

julie king said...

it is hot and humid here today as well. i came back from my walk soaked thru. i liked your comment about sweat pooling in your eyebrows. i know the feeling. i'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the cracked beads. please post photos soon!!