Friday, June 20

Biking, Ben & Jerry's and Beautiful Frogsong

A morning news-and-chat show stated that today would scientifically be the happiest day of the year. I was skeptical, but it sure did turn out above average.

It's the first day of summer here so that ups the percentage of happiness right there. Plus it's Friday. In addition it is mine and my husband's sweet 16 wedding anniversary. More happy feelings. We always write mushy cards to each other, but sometimes we don't really go out and do much of anything to celebrate. This time we had a plan though.

B loaded the bikes onto the car this morning, and we carpooled to work. (Saving money on gas = even more happiness.) At quarter after four I left to pick him up, and we drove to a nearby trail I discovered last winter and have wanted to share with him. The temperature was perfect, the only bugs were gnats (mmm, extra protein when you bike with your mouth open) and the company was exceptional. We road a short dirt single track to the paved canal path right to one of our favorite restaurants, the Coal Tower. Yep, it used to be an actual coal tower. A couple nearby seemed to be on their first date. While they navigated early-relationship chit-chat, we basked in old-married-couple easiness. The table wobbled with every bite B cut from his fish fry, but it was a pleasant dinner on the patio nonetheless. Back on our bikes, we road along the canal until we came to a big grassy park. We practiced doing wheelies (which have been impossible for me) until I had a pretty respectable one, the best I've ever done anyway. B's a good teacher. I was reminded of the first day I met him in Kung Fu class.

Working up an appetite for dessert, we went in search of ice cream. The local place only took cash, but I knew Ben & Jerry's took credit cards so that's where we ended up. OMG. It was fabulous. Did you know about the new Coconut Seven Layer Bar flavor? Directly form the B&J website: "Coconut Ice Cream with Coconut and Fudge Flakes, Walnuts and Swirls of Graham Cracker and Butterscotch." I had that and Phish Food - which is celebrating it's 10th anniversary by featuring chocolate fish and cows - in a giant waffle cone. It had to be over a pint of ice cream. I savored every last drop.

With chilly spots in our stomachs we stopped to listen to a marimba ensemble concert. We didn't linger long though as the sun started setting, and the trail would soon get dark. We worked off some of those ice cream calories as we sped back, but slowed as we heard a trilling ruckus near an old canal lock. At first we thought it was birds, but it was much more guttural. It turned out we were enjoying the sweet serenade of Chorus frogs! Listen here. A Happy Anniversary indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes it was an awesome evening. I would say it is your first real wheelie and was fun to see you start to get it! Those frogs must be the happiest frogs I've ever heard. I was amazed that we couldn't see any of them. Thank you for a wonderful evening and being my companion forever. Love B.