Saturday, March 22

Shave Ice, Oh How I Miss Thee

As far as I can find, shave ice is a uniquely Hawaiian treat developed on O'ahu. Blocks of ice are shaved by a very sharp blade almost to a fine powder and then drizzled with mostly tropical fruit flavors. This may sound like a slushy, but the texture is much much finer and to me, much tastier. Many places will serve this on top of ice cream.

After four hours of hiking on Kaua'i, we felt it was high time to try some so we stopped at Jo Jo's in Waimea. The door was shut, but a big "We're Open!" sign was still on it so B stopped the car, and I ran over to see. The friendly worker said they were open for a few more minutes so I waved him in and then tried to decide between the 60 flavors. I went with the Rainbow (strawberry, banana and vanilla syrups), highly recommended by the Ultimate Kauai book, and B chose the Island (pina colada, mai tai and strawberry daquari) both served over macadamia nut ice cream. Ice cream is one of my favorite foods, and this little treat is spectacular. It's worth getting a flight to just go try this. Now I'll have to start a quest to see if I can find this anywhere on the mainland.

No comments: