Thursday, February 7

Give Me Some Space

There was a space shuttle launch today, and it was amazing. Though Florida's a long way from here, I got to watch it live on my desktop at work in slush/ice/snow-covered New York.

A friend from work just got back from visiting Kennedy Space Center (forget Disney, go here!) and pulled up the NASA website today so we could watch the launch. We both kept the little window open of the live feed while we designed postcards and flyers and what-not. We both agreed it was the most fun we'd had in while. The astronauts were strapped in around nine or so, and they hung out with us on-screen until the lift-off after two o'clock. It was cool to watch them board the shuttle and hold up little signs saying hello to their loved ones. As the sky deepened in color and finally turned black, and I could see the Earth floating below, it sure made me wish I could go. The view and the silence would be bliss. I assume it's quiet on the shuttle after it gets into orbit. What if it hums or something is ticking? I might jump out the air lock.

Without further ado, check it out for yourself here! Just choose the video called Lift Off! at right.

No comments: