Monday, February 25

Thoughts at a Red Light

As I was driving around on my lunch hour getting gas and mailing some of my beads to Alberta, Canada (which is far, far from here!), I saw some Canadian Geese on the man-made pond at the mall. It's frozen over so they were just standing right out on the ice in a very nonchalant manner. I started thinking how funny it would be if the ice gave way and Kersplash! Feathers would fly, curses honked. Then I remembered how very light they are. They look like a big hefty bird, but bird bones are hollow so they are lighter than they look. I haven't ever had the opportunity to pick one up, but this is my speculation.

Next I started thinking about if they had landed on the water in this small pond at night and it froze by morning, how they would be trapped. I read about this in a book once. I think it was Black Swan Green. Even if it isn't true, I bet mother ducks tell their little chicklings, "Don't ever sit in the pond overnight - your feet could freeze like that!"

Then the light turned green.

3 comments:

TheresaJ said...

Red lights, and driving for that matter, are like that. It's the one time of day where my mind wanders randomly. Thanks for sharing! :)

One Christmas, about 10 years ago, I decided to be a little more traditional and cook a goose. Well, it seemed rather large - turkey-like, when I purchased it, but found that it had the largest opening for stuffing I had ever seen. The bird was all bones and skin with very little meat. Everyone I had invited managed only to get a taste. They enjoyed it, or said they did, but I thought the idea turned out to be a flop. Well, at least there was a lot of stuffing, and lots of side dishes as well.

- Theresa

Ginger said...

That is funny about your Christmas goose. Good for you for being adventuresome enough to try it!

Anonymous said...

hello ginger. my name is Penny and I went to school with you. you do beautiful work. please contact me at my personal email... I'd like to catch up with you. penny_kimmy@yahoo.com