Monday, September 24

Corning, Ithaca and Beyond



We never spend our free money. It just always goes back into the pot, but this time when we got some cash back my husband and I decided we'd do something with it. So we called up my folks and the four of us went on a tour of south central New York.

Corning was our first stop, and we spent the whole day at the museum. It's amazing how much time you can spend there and still not see everything. We highly recommend trying a Make Your Own Glass session. My dad and husband made blown-glass pumpkins, and I made a fused glass wind chime. I was pretty excited with how it came out. Above you'll see it's in progress. I got us half price rooms at the Econo Lodge with my Entertainment book membership - love that thing! A hot breakfast was included, and if you happened to be there, it's likely my parents helped you figure out the waffle maker.

The next morning we walked up and down Market Street, Corning's main street, and came across a pie eating contest. We had walked into a coffee shop earlier that morning and actually met a contestant. We rooted for coffee guy, but the mayor beat him by a mouthful.

Lunch was a fresh baked pizza a Jeraldo's and we enjoyed some garlic knots, stopped by Glassart Studio and Montour Falls which you could drive right by on a village street if you didn't look up.

Taughannock Falls State Park was on our way so we stopped and did a 1.5 mile hike to the cataract. I expected we may walk just a ways because, although my parents love the outdoors, their knees are so not crazy about hiking. We mosied along the trail and while they took their time, B and I went up to the end. The narrow cascade that is higher than Niagara Falls was lovely to behold as it tumbled to the green pool below. We decided to pick up the pace and get back to my folks just as my dad rounded the corner asking how much farther because mom wasn't too far behind. We couldn't believe it! I knew she could do it, but her knee was bothering her more than usual so I didn't know if she would. We told him she'd have to keep coming now because it was so close. We didn't know she'd already made up her mind to make it, and she went all the way to the lookout! See the tiny people to the right in the top right photo?

We dined at the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca - yes, that of vegetarian cookbook fame - and the meal was fresh and prepared with care. The 40 minute wait is worth it. Ithaca is a hopping town and reminded us of Boulder, Colorado and Burlington, Vermont. Every hotel was booked! Finally we found a room at a place fellow hikers on the trail had suggested to my parents. This place cost twice as much, had no breakfast, no free DVDs, no noise insulation and not one clock in the room. The people below us had moved their furniture outside and talked and drank in to the wee hours. I was very close to calling the management, but let it go which is not my nature. I'll chalk it up to being under the weather. A cold that had started developing late Friday was in full swing Saturday night. Ugh. I really needed some sleep. We got up nice and early and took showers. The pipes made a hideously glorious racket that couldn't have pleased me more. B said he thought he heard the people downstairs pounding. I sure hope so.

Since there was no breakfast this actually lined us up perfectly to drive to Plainville Farms and enjoy their Sunday brunch. The turkey on the horse is a lawn ornament outside the nondescript one-story building. As you may know, you can purchase Plainville Farms deli meats that are purported to undergo the least amount of processing. Now I am generally not a fan of buffets, but this was spectacular. Mini waffles, ham sliced as you like it, crispy bacon, frittatas, scrambled eggs, blueberries, strawberries, fresh whipped cream, out-of-this-world chicken and biscuits, apple cobbler, homemade bread pudding - I had it all and more. There was a full salad bar and even pudding. I love pudding, but there is something about restaurant pudding that just really does it for me. Yes, I know it comes out of a can, but I just love it. Creamy, smooth, vanilla goodness...mmmmm - with a dollop of whipped cream, of course.

Our next stop was the historical Sodus Point lighthouse. Lake Ontario was a deep indigo, and while it was still warm a steady wind made waves and ruffled the flag on the front porch of the museum. After wandering the gardens we all piled back in the car and headed home. My cold was in full swing so I was looking forward to that destination more than I would have if I had felt better. To give me time to rest, my folks hopped in their car when we got back, and I started laundry and got ready to go back to work. Ugh. It was as rough as I thought, but I got through the day thanks to Day-Quil.

1 comment:

Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

What a charming weekend!