Monday, December 31

Happy New Year's Eve!

Hello Friends, Family and Random Folk Who Happen By.
As 2007 ends in just hours, do you have big plans for tonight or fantastical resolutions for the new year? Do tell!

Me, I'm resolving to have no resolutions. That way I can't fail, right? Okay, I have SOME goals I guess, but resolve means "to make a firm decision about" and these are more just thoughts, ideas and hope-I-get-to's. I do like lists so without further ado...
1. Do Randolph Arts and Crafts Show in June
2. Go to Hawaii
3. Go surfing (in Hawaii)
4. Snowboard on a "real" mountain
5. Lift more
6. Run a half or full marathon
7. Be more grateful
8. Don't let P.I.T.A.s get to me
9. Read, read, read as always
10. Attain Design Certifications
11. Try to get off this computer more since I'm on one all day
12. And as always, be inspired by one of my favorite groupings of words ever:

Desiderata
By Max Ehrmann

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible, without surrender,
be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even to the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexatious to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain or bitter,
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs,
for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals,
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love,
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
Beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;

you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.


No less than the trees and the stars (I just LOVE that)...Happy New Year to each of you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you, too! I'm with you...I don't like resolutions either, too much pressure and then I feel like a failure when I don't follow through, LOL! I'm going to try to "suggest" to myself that I finally get organized this year- and that we finally make that trip to Germany!!!

Oh, and I LOVE 'Desiderata'.....if only everyone could live by those words?!?!

Anonymous said...

Ooops, almost forgot...I have to work tonight, as far as how we will be celebrating....but we're not much for partying as you know, LOL!
I should be home in time to give the hubby a peck on the cheek by midnight, though! **wink**

Ginger said...

It sounds like we both resolve not to set ourselves up for failure, LOL. I sure hope this is your Germany year, too! Bummer on the working, but hope you get to enjoy tomorrow. We just got back from I Am Legend which was quite good. I really like Wil. That pretty much concludes our celebrating besides the midnight smooch. :)

Calyx Ann said...

I love 'Desiderata' as well...
that's about the best advice you can get or give! Happy New Year, all!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! Good luck on all your goals!

Yankee Girl 1881 said...

Wow! you have lots planned this year! I can help ya out with #4... we're getting plenty of snow in the mountains! lol... they're waiting for you guys when ever you're ready.

Anonymous said...

1,2,3 are done! Sure didn't think 2 and 3 would have been a check off. :) B