Monday, September 15

Running Fool

Yesterday it would have been easier for a fish to breathe the air. It was not the kind of day where you wake up and think, "I'm going to go for a nice long run." But that's what I did. It was half marathon day.

Months ago it had seemed like such a good idea. My mileage was slipping, and I needed a goal. It worked, too. I've run 20-30 miles every month. Not a lot by obsessed runner standards, but there are just other things I'd rather do. Like not run - and kayak and mountain bike. You know if you've been reading this blog any amount of time.

At the start I'm already thinking this is going to suck and by mile three I walked a few strides uphill. Then I got in my groove and realized around mile six I probably wasn't going to feel any worse than I did then so kept on. My logic being the more I run, the sooner I can stop.

I came in five minutes off my best time and finished the 13.1 miles in 2 hours 17 minutes. I was pretty happy with that. I have to admit I stopped trying so hard at mile twelve and walked some more. I thought why hurt myself at this point. 120 people needed medical attention because of the heat, and I ran by a guy lying on the pavement with emergency personal asking, "Do you know your name? Sir, do you know your name?" Always a reality check to be an event where people collapse and not know who they are.

4 comments:

Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

Congratulations on a successful run!

Ginger said...

Thanks. So glad it's over. Now to find a new goal. Hmmm.

Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

Yes. Goals are good.
I'm just happy that I've "worked up to" the point where I don't have to stop in the middle of my 1 mile jog to walk a few steps...sometimes...on a good day....It's a good thing I've got my dog and iphone to keep me entertained!
You are quite inspiring and one of the reasons I started jogging in the mornings!

Ginger said...

Congrats on the sometimes 1 mile! Seriously, I remember how hard that was when I started running the 1.5 mile loop around my house. I actually measured the 1 mile point with my car so I knew when I could stop and walk after finally reaching that milestone. Glad you are getting out the door and that you find my forays inspiring; that may be the best compliment I've ever gotten on this blog. :) You're no slouch in adventuresomeness! I couldn't believe all the things you like to do when I first started reading your blog. I told my husband, "How come there are no cool women around here like this to hang out with?"