Tuesday, January 26

Oblique Thoughts

As I was choosing a font the other day, I started thinking about oblique, Helvetica Oblique to be exact. Any font with oblique after the name gives you italics. “Why isn’t the font called Helvetica Italics or Helvetica Slanted,” I wondered.

I Googled oblique to find such adjectives as slanting, skew, indirect, sloping, slant, devious, sidelong, awry, circuitous, roundabout, inclined and the definitions of the word:
1. If you describe a statement as oblique, you mean that is not expressed directly or openly, making it difficult to understand.

2. An oblique line is a straight line that is not horizontal or vertical. An oblique angle is any angle other than a right angle.

Fascinating. Then I thought I’d rather like it if the font were called Helvetica Devious.

Finally, I pondered my abs. Yes, those oblique muscles on the sides of the torso that, it turns out, lay on a slant. Huh. Those are a lot of oblique thoughts I was having that are now perfectly clear to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, that's why we love you...for your oblique sense of humor! :-)

~patti~

Sherry said...

Ginger, that place is getting to you (the "place" will remain anonymous!). This one was funny!

Ginger said...

Patti: Hehe, keepin’ it straight but slanted, that’s me!

Sherry: LOL, right you are.

Yankee Girl 1881 said...

you're having an off kilter day, lol