Wednesday, March 18

"Sit, Ubu, Sit"

I was looking for the Eat, Pray, Love book when I came across Sit, Ubu, Sit by Gary David Goldberg. Gary is the guy that created Family Ties, and this is the story of how that happened, the story of his life.

B and I recently took a road trip to Boston, and since my stereo is too old to know what an iPhone is, I became the audiobook and read it as we traversed the interstate. It was so much fun to read aloud, and B loved hearing the tale unfold. It is clever and upbeat; a love story with life's anvils-dropped-from-high-places thrown in. You know when you're reading sad parts to yourself, and if you're the stoic sort, your eyes may well up a bit, but you just keep reading? There were two spots where I could hardly read aloud. Damn. Dragging emotion outta me. Okay, Gary, you're good, and your story is wonderful, and if nothing as amazing as creating a hit TV show is in my future at least I've got the love of my life with me for whatever comes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

G
I was in Boston all last week training for my new Job. Don't ya hate the traffic up there?

tommy lee

Anonymous said...

Hey, glad to see a post from you again! And a good one at that. I remember that show and always wondered what the "sit, Ubu, sit" meant!

Ginger said...

TL: I used the subway and stayed on foot mostly so I had happy travels.

Sherry: I always loved that Sit, Ubu, Sit myself and still say it to this day. Usually to my coworker to tell her to get back in her chair, LOL.

Anonymous said...

G

Boston's subway is the best I've ever been on. Clean and easy to use...even for someone like you challenged by directions...LOL HAHAH!
TLEE

Ginger said...

TL: You are so right! I had no problem navigating around and didn't take the wrong train once. It's the way to travel!