Saturday, January 10

Saturday + Shark Bites

It's a typical sleep-in Saturday. Breakfast is consumed, fresh towels and sheets, light cleaning and basic life maintenance tasks are ensuing.

I sure would like to get out and enjoy this winter day, but the snow is crusty and it's too darn cold! Now, I am a hardy sort folks. I went cross country skiing at the park yesterday and ended up having to put my toes in warm water when I got home. Visions of surfing danced in my head as I scraped through the forest. It occurred to me that both sports risk body parts: surfing to shark lunch and skiing to frostbite. It also occurred to me that I'd rather have my toe bitten off than frozen off simply because the environment - delicious warmth, sweet ocean, beautiful beach - is a way more pleasant place to have something go horribly wrong. (Of course I could lose more than a toe surfing, but let's not think about that.) Sure, it could be argued that I could simply stay inside to avoid potential frost bite, but that's like saying stay out of the ocean so you don't drown and whatnot. The risk is worth the pleasure of living.

5 comments:

Suzy ~ lorenzstudio said...

YES! YES! YES!

It's in the 80s here this weekend and I, too, have dreams of surfing. However, the water is just about at its coldest this time of year.

And why is it, that the majority of my girl friends are afraid of the ocean? Afraid of sharks? Thank goodness for your reasoning!

Anonymous said...

LOL, funny how I was just reminiscing the other day about palm trees and beaches and eating steamed prawns....these super cold days will do it to us, eh?

~patti~

Ginger said...

Suzi: If ever thousands of miles and a mountain range don't separate us, we'll have to catch some waves! Let the "logical" girls stay on the beach, LOL. That is something about the water being cold. I'm not sure if you're California-raised, but when you come from a seasonally cold climate all of California seems like some sunny, warm dreamland. What a shock I had when I visited San Francisco, though I was warned beforehand. Another surprise was that the ocean in Hawaii in March is pretty brisk.

Patti: We are going to be thinking about warm places a lot these next few days. Stay warm and indoors. I can't believe the news is warning runners and cross country skiers to stay inside. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I know...whodathunkit?!?! At least Fran and I both have tomorrow (Wed.) off, good day to stay home and be as warm and lazy as possible, LOL!

~patti~

Ginger said...

Patti: Today I envied your schedule as I looked out at the bright sunshine thinking of you guys cozy at home all day. Bums!