Friday, August 22

Sayonara Summer

It's slipping away.  Sunday the geese started gathering, traveling in great arrows against blue skies, pointing the way to winter. Underfoot, bright yellow and red leaves are already starting to decorate the roadsides as I run. Just two or three here and there, but that's how it starts.  And most telling of all, the Rheent, Rheents are here.  What are the Rheent, Rheents?  They must be kind of like crickets, but they don't show up until August and they have this incessant question-and-answer session all night long: "Rheent, rheent?", "Rheent, rheent!"  They stay high in the trees so I haven't seen one yet.  If you have any idea what they are, please enlighten me!


It never ceases to surprise me how this can happen every year.  It was so hot and the air so thick when I was running today, and soon I'll be layered in clothes and freezing my nose hairs with each frigid breath.  Soon I'll be snowboarding, too and that gives me happy thoughts, but much as I love, love, love it, I've got to be honest.  I really love summer.  Less clothes, lots of sun, warm winds...I will miss you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Damn summer went fast this year. Actually all of 08 went by in a whisper.
Maybe it is true what they say about as you get older, time flies...so enjoy the ride(While on the ride listen to some CRUE)

Ginger said...

Yep, way, way too fast. Hope you guys have been having fun.

Anonymous said...

ps- want to know summer is really over?.......Wegmans starts putting up halloween candy on Monday.

Tommy Lee

Ginger said...

I saw Christmas decorations at BJ's! This is just wrong. On another note, I found out what the Rheent Rheents are: Katydids. I have always known of Katydids, but didn't realize that is what those were. Mystery solved.

Anonymous said...

X- Mas stuff..jesussssssssssssssssssss. Give the retailers another week and 4th of July will be back up!

Anonymous said...

Lol, I just read this and was gonna tell you that Katydids were what you were hearing, but you figured it out- Good for you! They look kinda like giant leafhoppers...sometimes at night one will get on our kitchen window on the deck, LOL!

~patti~