Monday, May 18

Eat, Sleep, Draw

This shoe is probably the best sketch I've done. I hadn't sat down to just draw in a long time and signed up for a class so I would have to. So conditioned am I as a graphic designer, I tend to crave that deadline. The teacher set up this still life with a spotlight and we drew in the dimness. Who wore it? Where did they go? How many public restrooms had the shoe hurried into? Did that shoe get to dance? I wondered these things, and I loved drawing this shoe.

Everyone learns to draw. Then most of us stop. I sometimes forget what a pleasure it is to look, really look, at a leaf, a person, a dream and transcribe it to paper. The process is as magical as a photograph appearing in a bath of darkroom chemicals - maybe more so because the subject is not captured by technology, but by a being.

Synapses fire off to make the finger hold the pencil, jog the line, darken a shadow, while the eyes record what they see to create an image filtered through thought. Click here to see the magic.

4 comments:

eatsleepdraw said...

Thanks for the link! Great work!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can come up with the next great artwork to add to my Tattoo collection.

Tomme Lee

Ginger said...

Thanks eatsleepdraw - love your site design and simplicity of function.

TL - I don't think you've got a square (inch) to spare. That reminds me I have a link to send you, completely unrelated to tattoos, that you're sure to find highly entertaining. Watch your e-mail.

Anonymous said...

G
Have you & A checked out Theory of a Deadman yet? Awesome band.

TLEE